Artichoke month continues! Being that Betsy and I live in very different parts of the country, it’s often challenging to find ingredients that we can find fresh in both of our local stores or farmer’s markets. Well, this month, artichokes have become difficult for me to find. Or at least, it’s been hard for me to find good ones. So I thought I’d share a recipe using canned artichokes for those of you who either can’t find the fresh ones right now, or don’t feel like doing all that cooking, peeling and chopping that goes with prepping artichokes!
This is a really easy recipe, and would be great for a summer picnic. Letting all of those flavors marinate for a few hours in your picnic basket will only enhance those flavors!
I’m a big fan of just the plain old fresh artichoke steamed, and dipping those leaves in some butter. But I admit, I’m going to really have to give some of the recipes you all have linked up a try! Some really great ideas. Keep ‘em coming!
Artichoke, Fresh Mozzarella and Salami Sandwiches, adapted from Epicurious
- 1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 5-inch-diameter or 6-inch-long Italian rolls, split in half lengthwise
- 12 ounces fresh water-packed mozzarella, drained, sliced
- 4 ounces salami, thinly sliced
Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide artichoke mixture among bottom halves of rolls. Top with cheese, then salami. Press sandwiches lightly to compact and wrap each tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate sandwiches at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.